Friday, December 14, 2007

"Ewes not fat, ewes fluffy"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. I'm fat. No two ways about it. No tiptoeing through those tulips. No pussyfootin', tapdancin', or artful dodgin'. Somewhere between Mamma Cass and pre-bypass Carnie Wilson lies I. Lies me? Hmmm, where's that grammar check when you need it?

But wait. I digress. The truth of the matter is that there's a lotta OggieMamma to love. OggieDaddy has never complained. Like a corny, cheesy love song, the man honest-to-goodness loves me for who I am. Somewhere in our wedding vows "through thick and thin" was added 'cause he's loved me through 'em both. It's me who has problems with me - with my achy breaky knees and too-easy-to-tire-ness. I've managed to lose half my body weight in the past, but that was at a time when I could devote my days to exercise. Before work, during lunch, after work. Seven days a week. Rain or shine. No mo'. I'm almost fifty and my body bears the weight (literally and figuratively) of my years of neglect.

So, after much research and reviewing of my options, I opted to pursue Lap-Band surgery (http://lapband.com/lapband/portal.do). A conversation with my PCP led to a referral to a local surgeon, which led to a consult, which led to...well, an actual, real, by-golly-by-gosh-I'm-gonna-do-this surgery date. December 19th, 2007. Next week. Five days. Not soon enough and too soon, both at the same time.

It wasn't a terribly complicated journey. Through my handsome honey bunny's employer we have good medical insurance, and my surgeon's office has a wonderful staff who knows how to cross t's and dot i's and deal with any amount of red tape. I had monthly visits with the surgeon's nurse practitioner, followed the diet plan developed for me by the dietician, saw the psychiatrist who gave me the a.o.k. (Yeah, I know! Can you believe it?! Har!), walked three times a week, and consulted with a physical therapist, following their exercise plan, plus I kept a food journal (http://www.my-calorie-counter.com). Five months from beginning to...well, beginning.

So many people have asked me about the process that I decided I'd try this here bloggin' thang. Not that my ego is all that big (well, it's not), but I figure, hey, maybe I can be a motivation or inspiration or curiositytion (I know that's not a real word, okay? Get. over. it.). Thus, it begins, my Becky Reclamation Project. Lawsie mercy, doesn't that sound cool!



9 comments:

Holyrowly said...

You go girl! Gonna watch your progress daily! Love ya my friend!

Bee said...

You're always an inspiration to me! I will follow you journey with pleasure. What an exciting trip it will be!

JulyG319 said...

Can't wait to watch your progression into the woman you want to be! Hugs to you!

barb said...

This is an excellent public service you are doing here my friend. I just hope you know that all of us are gonna be here for ya. I look forward to your journey. Hugs for you!

funcolors said...

I know all will go as planned! Gosh, you've worked so hard for this. And, yes, we will all be here for you.

lee_sa_d said...

Hey Oggie!! This is a wonderful thing to do and I am so excited to follow along with you on this adventure in Reclaimation!! You have such a great sense of humor and are so sweet...kinda like the Erma Bombeck of lap band!! You go girl!!

Deb said...

What an exciting journey you are on, Oggie! I'll be thinking of you throughout and rooting for you every step of the way! Hugs.

GailD said...

Becky - Can't wait to follow your progress. My friend Wendy (down 100lbs herself) wants me to keep her posted! Our prayers are with you!

Nancy in ME said...

Becky, I am so proud of you and the decisions you have made to reclaim your life, body and personal happiness. You know we will all be following along with you and, who knows, you may just be the inspiration a few more of us need to reclaim ourselves too!