Friday, July 15, 2011

Cha Cha Cha Changes

Yep, I've renamed by blog. It's been closer to four years than three since I underwent weight loss surgery. I managed to reach my goal of 130 lbs. before creeping back up to 140, which seems to be where my body is happiest and healthiest, and now that I've been in maintenace for about a year it seemed like a good time to change my focus from reducing to rediscovering. Whether a person gains a great deal of weight or loses it, the changes go much deeper than just physical appearance.

One of my biggie issues is that I still tend to choose clothes made by Omar the Tent Maker, camouflaging instead of accentuating. And why, why, why do I still automatically gravitate towards the plus size clothing? I celebrated the day I could shop from the misses department again, yet when I go into a store my autopilot activates and in my mind's eye I go (grow?) from a size 8 to an 18. It's all about the picture we have of ourselves, the one we use to judge each and every "flaw", raking ourselves over the coals for every blemish or pound or wrinkle, magnifying it until it overtakes almost every positive feeling about our bodies we might have had.

It's time to embrace my new lifestyle. I may never grow to love working out. I'm sorry if I offend, but all you people who claim to love it? I think you're a buncha sickos! I know I'm never going to want to jump from airplanes or swim across the Atlantic or zip-line through the rainforest, but there are more things to add to my bucket list than there are to erase.

Hopefully the new direction I'm taking will be as helpful to someone as people have told me the old one was. I'm usually an aggravation; being an inspiration is a nice change :)

2 comments:

Bee said...

You've done an amazing job. I know it was hard but you persevered. You look wonderful. You own that new size, girl, and put Omar out of business.

Becoming said...

I am looking for an old neighbor from Windsong? Are you her? Michelle msf121970@gmail.com